Friday 21 November 2014

Who am I?


The clincher was introducing myself to some new people in a small group.  “I’m a single mum” was how the introduction started.

There wasn’t time to elaborate, yes I’m a single mum, no not by choice, blah blah blah…..  I’ve been pondering why I made the choice to introduce myself as such.  Why do I feel lowered, depressed etc when I dwell that yes I am a single mum.  I work three jobs, look after a 4 and nearly 6 year old and try (unsuccessfully) to keep a semblance of home.  

When people hear the phrase “single mum” there seems to be an instant pity.  'Oh poor you', 'I don’t know how you do it'.  That makes two of us!

But I’m not just a single mum.  I am a women who loves God, has dreams, goals and hopes for the future.  Just like any other woman.

So as at today I’m consciously making the decision to not refer to myself as a ‘single mum’.  I’m a mum to two beautiful children, I’m an employee, I love kids, I’m involved in Children’s Ministry, I’m adventurous, I love reading, I am a daughter of God, I am fearfully and wonderfully made!


No comments:

Post a Comment